So, you’ve been told to wash your hands more frequently and avoid public spaces. What now, except the need for a good moisturiser? We’ve got 5 tips to make a strong immune system your most powerful ammunition against the lurgies.
First, the 411 on what the immune system actually is. It’s a collection of billions of cells that travel through the body in the bloodstream, moving in and out of tissues and organs. These cells (B-cells and T-cells) defend the body against antigens (foreign bodies) such as bacteria and viruses.
1. Get moving. Regular, consistent movement mobilises the T-cells and gets them to circulate more rapidly along with your antibodies, zeroing in on bugs more efficiently. Research has also shown that raising your body temperature can help kill germs. The sweet spot is 30-60 minutes most days. Whilst exercise can help prevent illness, rest and recovery is also recommended. The Recover Capsules are a daily nootpropic complex formulated for fast recovery. The functional ingredients include chocamine to reduce inflammation, vitamin D for brain function and ubiquinone COQ10 for growth and repair. Bounce back fast.
2. Catch some serious Zzzs. Sleep gives your body the chance to reboot and repair. Lack of sleep can cause a drop in the production of molecules that counter inflammation and infection, which can affect how fast you recover from illness. Poor sleep also puts you at a higher risk of catching a virus, such as the common cold virus. The optimal amount of sleep for most adults is 7 to 8 hours of good quality sleep each night.
3. Relax bro. When you’re stressed, the immune system’s ability to fight off antigens is reduced making you more susceptible to infections. Cortisol, the stress hormone, interferes with the T-cells’ ability to reproduce and receive signals from the body. Meditation, yoga, exercise and mindfulness are great practices proven to lower stress. For additional support, The Relax Capsules have been formulated with ingredients such as medicinal mushrooms, l-theanine and pine bark extract to improve clarity, reduce stress and promote relaxation. Take a chill pill, literally.
4. Protein. Protein. Protein. Vital to build and repair body tissue, regulate and generate new cells, and fight both viral and bacterial infections. Both antibodies and T-cells rely on protein to function. A quick and easy way to ensure you’re getting enough protein every day is to whip up a shake. With stockpiling hitting supermarkets hard, reduce the stress of maintaining adequate protein in your diet with one of our four protein blends.
5. Nutrition. Making the right nutrition choices are a great way to ensure your immune system remains strong and you stay healthy. There are a ton of ingredients out there that can help support your health in different ways. We’ve incorporated lots of these functional ingredients across our product range. Here are some that we think are particularly relevant:
Capsicum: Found in The Lean Protein, it’s a great source of beta-carotene (the red-orange pigment found in plants and fruit) which has been shown to increase immune cells in number and boost their activity.
Vitamin C: Found in The Health Protein. The Amazonian berry camu camu is famed for being the richest source of vitamin C, which has been proven to cut the risk of getting a cold in half and reduces the duration of a cold by 20% if contracted.
Turmeric: Found in The Detox Booster. One of nature’s most potent superfoods and has been used for centuries for medicinal purposes with its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant powers. The Detox Booster is also packed with an additional 9 of the strongest superfoods out there.
Japanese medicinal mushrooms: Found in The Relax Capsules and The Health Protein. These act as booster shots for the immune system. Lion’s mane mushrooms, shiitake, maitake, reishi and cordyceps have been used for centuries for their antiviral, antioxidant and antibacterial properties.
Eat the alphabet: Found across all ranges. Vitamin A, B6, C, D and E can help increase the strength of the immune system, so look for foods and vitamin supplements with high quantities of all these magical ingredients.
Adopting a healthy lifestyle helps to power your immune system and safeguards your bodily defences, ensuring they are as effective as they can get. Follow these tips to protect your health, so you’re ready to take on the world.